December 2018 through December 2019
Temporary Public Art Installation:
Exchange Place Alliance invites artists to submit proposals for seasonal temporary public art installations. Artists (or groups of artists) will be selected to provide works of art for exterior display, installation, and/or performance in the Exchange Place Alliance S.I.D. (special improvement district, see attached map) This invitation is open to artists whether they live within or outside of the city of Jersey City.
All materials must be emailed to email@example.com
Artists are encouraged to propose specific sites that they have identified. Any site within the Exchange Place Alliance S.I.D. is eligible.
All media, including experiential/interactive art, performance art, sound, projection, and light installations, are eligible for consideration. Performance art pieces may be one-time, multiple, or ongoing occurrences. All work will be professionally documented through photographs and/or video at the expense and under the supervision of the Exchange Place Alliance, who will maintain all rights to the resulting images and video.
The maximum stipend will be $5,000. Should Exchange Place Alliance choose to purchase a piece for permanent display, the stipend shall serve as a deposit toward the total purchase price. Any private purchase will be independent of this process and arranged directly between the purchaser and the artist.
Artists are responsible for transporting, installing, and removing the artwork after the exhibition. Exterior artwork should be durable and require no maintenance during the exhibition period. Exchange Place Alliance will work with the artist to provide site specific installation assistance as required. Limited funds in addition to the artist stipend may be available to assist with this process. Attention to public safety issues and resistance to vandalism are also important considerations. Approval of artwork will be contingent on satisfactorily addressing liability issues (to be determined) and assuring structural integrity. The installation will be on view for six to eight weeks unless otherwise agreed upon.
Review Criteria & Process:
Proposals will be reviewed by the Exchange Place Alliance S.I.D. Proposals will be scored based on:
• Visibility / visual impact
• Appropriateness / availability of the site (if one has been identified)
• Artistic excellence
• Evidence of durability / public safety
Interested artists should provide the following:
• Letter of interest. Please explain why you would like to be considered for this exhibition and the artwork you would create, including a proposed location should you have one identified.
• Proposed budget. Please provide a budget for your proposed project and clearly state the amount of your request. The maximum request is $5000.
• Current Resume. Include information about previous work, commissions, public art installations, and exhibitions.
• Digital Images/Videos/Audio Files. Please include a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 5 jpeg images (no larger than 1 MB per file) representative of your work. Please include title of work, dimensions of the work, and materials used. For performance pieces or pieces with an audio/visual component, please submit no more than 3 links to relevant audio/video files.